RE: Unpaid Meal Balances

Dear Parent or Guardian:

The goal of the school meal programs is to provide nutritious meals to children during the school day. Children may receive breakfast and lunch at no cost to families if they are categorically eligible for free meals or if they qualify for free meals based on meal application results. Sometimes, children who do not qualify based on these standards would like a breakfast or lunch, but do not have money in their account or in-hand to cover the cost of the meal at the time of the meal service, as a result, meal debt occurs.

At RSU #12 unpaid meal balance practice is to notify families of meal debt through automated systems with phone, text and email along with additional mailing notification to families. When these tools find no response for the unpaid balance, the nutrition team reaches out to building administrators and the school district superintendent for further support of collecting unpaid balances.

Unpaid meal charges represent a difficult and complex issue directly impacting the schools participating in our programs as well as the children we serve. Thank you for helping support our students programs by remaining current on school meal balances.

Resources for meal balance:.

MySchoolBucks allow parents to make online payments to their child's meal accounts and view the balance.

Pay online How do I Enroll?

  • 1.Go to www.myschoolbucks.com or download the mobile app and register for your free account.
  • 2.Add your students using their name and birthdate.
  • 3.Make a payment to your students’ accounts with your credit/debit card or electronic check.

If you have any questions, please visit www.myschoolbucks.com and click Help or call MySchoolBucks Customer Support at 1-855-832-5226.

Or You can complete an online application at http://svrsu.schoollunchapp.com.

Or, click this link to download the application, fill it out by hand, and return it to your child's school office.


Michael J. Flynn CEC – Director of Student Nutrition Services


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the Agency ere they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, heard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at https://www.ascr.usda.gov/filing-program-discrimination-complaint-usda-customer and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.


The Maine Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, religion, ancestry or national origin.

Complaints of discrimination must be filed at the office of the Maine Human Rights Commission, 51 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333-0051.

If you wish to file a discrimination complaint electronically, visit the Human Rights Commission website at https://www.maine.gov/mhrc/file/instructions and complete an intake questionnaire. Maine is an equal opportunity provider and employer.