The Individual Education Planning Team (I.E.P.) serves as a communication vehicle between parents and school personnel. The school district takes steps to ensure that the parents of children with a disability are present at each I.E.P. meeting or are afforded the opportunity to participate, at a mutually-agreed-upon time. This enables parents, as equal participants, to make joint, informed decisions regarding
- identification and eligibility for general education
- the child’s needs and appropriate goals
- the extent to which the child will be involved in the general curriculum and participate in the regular education environment and state and district-wide assessments, and
- the services needed to support that involvement and participation to achieve agreed-upon goals
Parents are considered equal partners with school personnel in making these decisions, and the I.E.P. Team must consider the parents’ concerns and the information that they provide regarding their child in determining eligibility; developing, reviewing and revising I.E.P.s, and determining placement.
The I.E.P. Team ensures that all students are educated in the Least Restrictive Educational Environment based upon the individual needs of the student. To this end, Sheepscot Valley RSU12 offers a range of special education services to meet the needs of special needs children. Students are enrolled in the following (from least restrictive to most restrictive):
- Student is enrolled in a general education class; learning activities are supplemented by special education instructional materials or equipment identified by the I.E.P. Team.
- Student is enrolled in a general education class; learning activities are supplemented by special education instructional materials or equipment identified by the I.E.P. Team; the general education teacher receives education consultation from certified special education staff as identified by the I.E.P. Team.
- Student is enrolled in a general education class and receives direct instruction from a certified special education teacher in a resource room setting for up to 50% of his/her day.
- Student is enrolled in a self-contained special education class for more than 50% of his/her school day and receives direct instruction from a certified special educator.
- Student is enrolled in a private special education day treatment facility as ordered by the I.E.P. Team.