McKinney-Vento Homeless Education
Resources for Parents and Students:
Education Rights of Homeless Students – McKinneyVento Act
If you have become homeless, notify your child's school principal immediately. If you are homeless in another district, enroll your child immediately and inform the school that you're homeless. Ask to speak with the Homeless Liaison.
What is McKinneyVento?
The McKinneyVento Homeless Assistance Act is the primary federal (U.S)law dealing with the education of children and youth in homeless situations.
- The McKinneyVento Act protects the right of homeless children and youth to get to, stay in, and be successful in school while they or their families are homeless. The law focuses on maintaining school stability and school access and providing support for academic success for homeless kids.
- The law also requires schools and states to use childcentered, best interest decision making when working with homeless children and their families to choose a homeless child's school, services, and other needed resources.
- Sheepscot Valley Regional School Unit 12 Homeless Liaison is Pat Block.
- Please contact Pat at the office, on her cell or through email if you have any questions.
- Office Phone (207-549-1010)
- Cell Phone (207-530-0628)
- Email (firstname.lastname@example.org)